How To Become an MUA + The difference between a makeup artist and a Influencer

Ever since i started using my Instagram more to show off my makeup i always get questions on "how do i become a makeup artist" "whats the best course to do. But i realised that i never really answered them in dept. I'm hoping in today's post that i will answer your questions all about how to become a mua"


Whats the difference between a makeup artist and an influencer?
I know there's still a lot of people confused about  the difference between a freelance makeup artist and a Makeup influencer on IG that only does makeup on themselves and not on other people.  A working freelancer does makeup on other people which is known as a "client" a influencer is known to only do makeup on themselves which is also known as a makeup enthusiast.

Even though I am qualified to be a makeup artist and is able to work on a makeup counter I still don't consider myself as a "makeup artist".

So now you're interested in taking the next step in becoming a mua,  it's time to find a course that will best suit you.  I know there are a lot of freelance makeup artist that don't have a certificate under there belt which is completely fine, however if you want to work at a counter or in Sephora then you must need to complete a course.

What makeup courses I have completed 
I've done 3 makeup courses since I've finished high school, and you don't need to do 3 courses if you don't want to but at the time I wanted to get all the qualifications that I needed to be the best makeup artist I can be.

The first course i did was the Certificate 2 in retail makeup and skin care, i started and completed this course just when i finish high school. This certificate 2 covers all the basic makeup applications. This certificate is really good if you want to become a makeup artist on the counters when you already know everything and you just need the certificate to prove that you are allowed to work there.

The second course i did was the Diploma makeup of special effects. During the first half of the diploma you do cover some of the certificate 2 and then the rest of the course you focus on special effects. Doing this course isn't really needed if you want to work on a counter but its really good if you want to work on tv and productions.

The last course I did was the intermediate makeup artistry course, which covered high-end fashion artistry. I loved doing this course because I did this course at a different academy and I wished I did the other courses at this academy because the classes were half the size and you get more time being one on one with the lecture.

What Academy did I go to and recommend? 
This is a bit hard to answer because all my readers are located in different areas, but if you are from Perth, Western Australia then the two academies I went to were Wa makeup academy and Artist at play. 

I did like them both because every lecture i had are incredible at what they did. But i saying that i did love artist at play mainly because the classes were half the size and you get more one on one time with the lecture as i said above. I recommend going to artist at play if you are mainly focusing on becoming a makeup artist as they have so many different makeup courses to make you a better artist.

If you are interested in doing something else other then makeup then I recommend going to WA makeup academy because they are an academy that focuses on makeup, beauty therapy, hairdressing and nails they cover the whole lot.


I know that this blog post only focus on my Perth followers but if you want to become a makeup artist and you are from a different state then i recommend doing some research on where you want to go and what course you would like to do, it's all different in each state and whats popular and what not. Most academies i have been to allow you to have a tour and if they do then i'd suggest you taking up that offer and seeing if you like the vibe of that place and the people working there.

I hope that answers all your questions about the studies and what you have to do to become a makeup artist

Jess Xx

Comments

Popular Posts